Outreach & Education
- Triangle Meatless Monday: Co-founded and co-managed a Triangle-based version of the national Meatless Monday movement, resulting in over 50 restaurant participants, 2,000+ pledges to go meat-free on Mondays, a talk with Frances Moore Lappe at the EPA, several articles, giveaways, and the distribution of thousands of free plant-based samples at Earth Day, PRIDE, Bimbe, the Latino Festival, and more. Active: 2011-2016.
- Bull City Vegan (Chef) Challenge: Co-founded a month-long vegan chef challenge, which ran 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2016 (the last with 15 local restaurant participants. See my video about the Challenge here, and start one in your town! If you’re in the Bull City, definitely check out the continuing Bull City Vegan page run by a good friend.
- Vegan Carolina: Co-founded in 2011, and organized tabling/sampling, leafleting concerts/colleges, and more.
- Durham Vegan Drinks: Founded and organized. We also encouraged restaurants/bars to create special vegan dishes for the meetups. They often did, and here’s one example of the award-winning 24/7 museum hotel 21C keeping the hot tempeh wings on the menu. Now known as Triangle Vegan Drinks and ran by two awesome people. (2014 – 2016).
- Instructional videos (forthcoming).